Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oniomania...

I think I have them.
Some of you may be wondering what is that. Don't worry, it's not a deadly disease and it's certainly not contagious.. I hope so *lol*

(Inspired by Sonia)

It's actually a term for shopping addicts/compulsive shopping; the desire to spend money and feeling euphoria when it comes to shopping. Recently, I always have this urge to go out and buy things, anything that comes into mind. Even now, I still have the desire to go out and spend my money on things I know not necessary. So, I did some mini research on the web and this is what I found, ONIOMANIA. I'm not sure why it is termed so, but it sounds a bit like ONION..lol. Nah, actually I know why. Oniomania comes from the word onios (Greek) which means for sale and mania means insanity.

Several websites indicate the causes of oniomania could be depression, negative emotions (anger, stress), low-self esteem as well as social conditions. Hmm... am I depress? Could I be under stress? anger? One thing for sure, I'm easily angered.

If you think you're a shopaholic, let's watch out for these symtoms:
1) Compulsive buying
- when you need 1 top, you came home with more
- I think I am one compulsive buyer *sweat*

2) Hiding purchases
- hide/lie purchase to your significant other/parents
- I know who does ^^
- recently I do lie about my purchases *sweats*
I use to tell Dave what I bought and what I'm going to buy but I don't think I do now. Maybe I should start telling him again to control myself before my Oniomania level goes to the extreme.

3) Overspent/ over budget
Errr.... maybe I'm not in this category. I do control my spendings, just that when I have extra, I tend to spend a little bit more. I do have a minimum amount of money being kept for the rainy days. Anything over my savings, NO NO!

4) Hiding bills
This one applys to credit card(s) users which currently I'm not. Whenever I use credit card, I'll ask for permission first ^^.

5) Feeling ashamed/guilty after a shopping spree
- *lol* Again, I know who does!

6) Shopping to cover up anger/depression/sadness/anxiety/loneliness
- Who doesn't go around when you're lonely?

7) Thinking about money obsessively
- OMG, I do think a lot about money!

I'll have to start controlling now. Whenever I feel like going out shopping, I may have to opt for grocery supermarkets so I won't buy unnecessary attires/accesories or think of something more healthy to do like arranging my collections ^^ *Sweats even more* That would inflict more desire/urge. Better go for exercise.

No comments:

Current Snippets

I'll be back! pretty soon...

19th June 2010
8.53 a.m.